Post Disaster Management Initiatives
The massive earthquake on April 25th and its aftershocks has led to nearly 9,000 deaths and leaving more than 22,000 injured with irreparable damage to settlements and historical monuments. Along with various physical destructions and loss of lives the survivors and victims of the earthquake are also likely to undergo post traumatic stress disorder. Since the tragic event BNMT Nepal has been upfront in addressing Community Focused Response and Relief Initiatives in coordination with the Government of Nepal.
Okhaldhunga, Makawanpur, Nuwakot, Dhading, Sindhupalchowk, Kavre, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Lalitpur
Areas of Intervention
Distribution of Relief Materials
More than 1,000 affected households received our relief package like tents, blankets and clothes including essential food items to last a week for an average household.
Free Health Camps
- More than 3000 individuals from different districts like Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Nuwakot, Dhading, Sindhupalchowk, Kavre and Makawanpur have benefited from various free health camps held on separate occasions
- Essential medicines were distributed free of cost to the needy and earthquake affected people.
Psychosocial Counselling and Support Program
With a prime objective of addressing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in post -earthquake scenario BNMT Nepal has launched its Psychosocial Counselling and Support Program in approval from concerned District Public Health authorities.
- More than 2000 individuals counselled (Group Counselling and Individual Counselling) in Bhaktapur, Kathmandu and Makawanpur districts
- Financial and Technical Support to District Public Health Office (DPHO) Kathmandu for Psychosocial Support Program
- Conduction of trainings on Post- Disaster Psychosocial Counselling and Support to various NGOs and community
Essential Medicine Support
- Essential Drugs Support to Logistic Management Division, MoHP for Dolakha, Ramechhap, Okhaldhunga districts and other earthquake affected regions of the country
- Essential Medicine Support to Sisdole Health Post (Nuwakot), Bramchi Health Post (Sindhupalchowk), National Institute of Neurological & Allied Sciences (Neuro Hospital Bansbari), Tamakoshi Cooperative Hospital (Ramechhap), Family Hospital in Thecho, Dhapakhel, Lalitpur, Central Jail Hospital, Tripureswor to conduct Health Camps in the affected areas.
Community Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
In the aftermath of the earthquake, thousands of people have been forced to use backyard, open spaces or temporary toilets for defecation which imposes a great threat of diarrhoeal disease outbreaks therefore with the prime objective of preventing such outbreaks in temporary clusters /shelters, BNMT Nepal constructed two newly community toilets, each with four compartments in Yonsikhel and Maheswori of Bhaktapur districts, Bungamati of Lalitpur District and similarly in Samundratar -1 of Nuwakot District.
For details on Post Disaster Initiatives, please check out our News/Event Section
News & Events
AmplifyChange project dissemination
The dissemination of lessons learned program of the AmplifyChange funded project 'Advancing SRHR of adolescents of earthquake affected villages of Sindhupalchowk district, Nepal : A pilot project' was conducted on...
Stakeholder consultation under READ-It project
Stakeholder consultation on 'Calcium supplementation to pregnant women in Nepal: Its implications on reduction of pre-eclampsia' was conducted on 18th April 2021 under the READ-It project. In the program, government...
That feeling of being cured from TB! – Journey of a 28-year-old mother
We were celebrating our family ritual, and in the evening, I puked blood. I was scared to death about what happened to me. My mother in law suggested that probably the ritual was not performed correctly, therefore I had to...